Can you remember the first few months of your relationship? Those butterflies every time your phone beeped. The fact that you couldn’t wait to see your partner, sparks flying so high, you could probably light up New York City. We often ask ourselves how to get the spark back, or how do we keep the spark going. The answer is simple, what did you do back in the day? YOU DATED! Start dating your spouse.
My husband woke me up on Saturday morning with coffee and 7 envelopes to celebrate our 7 years of marriage (yip it was our anniversary weekend). I was completely blown away. You should know, we went through rough waters the last few months and barely made it through, so this anniversary was definitely worth celebrating. And boy did we celebrate! Watch our Instagram highlight to see what we got up to.)
Each envelope was designed to custom a date that we have never had before. Here we go… (Use copy and paste to create your own adventure, make sure to share it with us on Instagram and Facebook. This date is perfect for a surprise weekend or day out of town).
Envelope 1 – Destination
- Make up a sum using only the number 7. The answer = the letter of the alphabet (A-1 B-2 etc). Say the first town/ city that comes to mind starting with that letter. Tell me…
(7 x 7) -7-7-7-7 divided by 7 = 3! What a sum, 3 was the 3rd letter of the alphabet, C! Although I could name any town starting with a C, somehow Cullinan came to mind. Cullinan is a small town 30 km east of Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa. It is a small town along the diamond route that is heavily reliant on tourism and the mine that dominates the skyline. The town is named after diamond magnate Sir Thomas Cullinan.
And just like that we were on our way to CULLINAN!
Custom your date
(Before you start your date, make sure what you are celebrating and connect a number to it (we were celebrating our 7th anniversary, so Jp used the number 7)
Make up a sum using only the number ___ (choose your own number). The answer = the letter of the alphabet (A-1 B-2 etc). Say the first town/ city that comes to mind starting with that letter. Tell me…
Envelope 2 – Attraction.
- Google top attractions in this town. Click on the 10th link (the day we got married), choose option 7. We have to do this.
As we arrived in Cullinun we stopped at the first restaurant we could find to eat breakfast and plan the rest of our day. The next envelope was ATTRACTION, and this would determine what we would do in this small town. Thanks to Google we ended up visiting the McHardy House Museum, Simoné our tour guide took us through every room and educated us not only on the house but on the town as well. We had a blast and off course we had to take some photos. This was the first house to be build in Cullinun, with lots of firsts, like the toilet and telephone. This reminded us to remember our firsts. First date, first kiss, first fight, first “I love you’s”. As I looked at Jp, I saw the same man who asked me to marry him 8 years ago, but this time he was even more handsome.
Custom your date
Google top attractions in this town. Click on the ____ link (choose a number with significance to you), choose option ______ (your celebration number). We have to do this.
Envelope 3 – Accommodation.
- Drive in a random direction for 7km’s. On Bookings.com, choose the ‘find accommodation around me’ and book room 7 of the 7th option.
After our museum visit we stopped at a local pub and grill and relaxed for a few hours, discussing what we have achieved in the last 7 years as a couple and what we would like to achieve in the years to come. Setting goals together are extremely important it keeps you motivated and accountable as a team.
We got in the car opened envelope 3 and there is was, the word I dreaded most ACCOMMODATION. Jp knows how extremely uptight I am when it comes to hotels and bed and breakfasts. The linen needs to be white and clean, the rooms have to be spacious and I have to feel that it’s an upgrade from my bedroom at home. I hoped that this was the one thing he pre-booked, but he didn’t (how could he, he didn’t know what town we would end up going to). He wanted me to get out of my comfort zone, and because I love him so damn much, I did it. You are welcome to use whatever booking app works best for you. We do all our bookings through bookings.com and we just LOVE the app.
The town was absolutely drenched with people, they had a huge bicycle tournament on Saturday and a big marathon on Sunday, so we could only find accommodation outside Culling. Accommodation – check. It was booked and I was kinda okey with what we got. BUT as we drove through Cullinan we past this quint little hotel Cullinan Premier Hotel, it looked like a scene from a movie (no jokes) and I just had to pop in. Guess what? They could accommodate us for the night, so we cancelled our previous booking and settled in at the hotel. Made our way to the bar and played some pool.
Custom your date
Drive in a random direction for ____km’s (your celebration number). On Bookings.com (or booking app of your choice), choose the ‘find accommodation around me’ and book room ___ of the ___th option (your celebration number).
Envelope 4 – Food.
- Go to the Zomato app. Select restaurants around me. Go to the 7th restaurant. Have the 7th drink on the drinks menu, and the 7th meal on the food menu.
This was quite the challenge. Cullinan is definitely a ghost town after 7pm but we manage to find this Greek Gem and the food was to die for.
Custom your date
Go to the Tomato app (or the restaurant app of your choice). Select restaurants around me. Go to the ___ restaurant (your celebration number). Have the ___ (your number) drink on the drinks menu, and the ___ (your number) meal on the food menu.
Envelope 5 – for the FUN.
- Search on YouTube – Best karaoke songs of 2012 (the year we got married). Sing as a duet the 7th song on the list.
After dinner, we got back to the hotel ready to hit the sack. The day was filled with excitement and a lot of firsts, and I have to be honest, we were dead tired. But, we had 2 more envelopes for the day. And I was way to curios to leave them for tomorrow.
We opened envelope 5 and to my surprise, Jp incorporated our favorite thing to do together – KARAOKE. There we were standing on the bed, mics in hand (some would say it was merely water bottles, I would disagree) ready to wow the audience (two towels and a pile of laundry). Yes ladies and gentleman, fun has no age limit.
Custom your date
Search on YouTube- Best karaoke songs of _____ (choose you year). Sing as a duet the 7the song on the list.
Envelope 6 – Bedtime
- Give your partner 7 reasons why you love them.
This made my day. How often do we go through life without taking time to validate each other. Without stopping to reassure each other of our love. If I haven’t said this before, I’ll say it again – JP Steynvaardt I frikken LOVE you.
Envelope 7 – Game (an extra one)
- Go to the nearest supermarket and complete the following challenge. Find the following 7 items on the list separately. (Not together, your own opinion). When you have all items, wait at isle 7 and discuss your findings.
1- Your partner’s fav chocolate
2- One item of food of the first meal you ate together.
3- Your partners least fav food
4- An Item your partner can’t live without
5- Deodorant your partner used when you started dating
6- Find items that spells your partners favorite color. 1 item for each letter.
7- Find an item that will forever remind you of him/her.
I have to be honest, we planned to do this little challenge the next day, but we couldn’t get around to it. So this is on our to-do list for next weekend. If I learned anything this weekend it would be that a marriage can only work, if you work it. I am so thankful that I get to experience Christ’s love through my spouse, and although we fight and disagree and at times wonder what the future holds – one thing stands true – if God is evident in your marriage, you will not fail.
May this date idea take your celebration to the next level, may you fall in love all over again.
- 4 Stappe om mekaar te verstaanOns almal het 4 ‘basics needs’ en soos gewoonlik verskil mans en vrouens soos dag en nag. Kom gesels saam en vind uit wat maak jou gelukkig maar meer belangrik, wat maak jou maat gelukkig. Jou man her vervulling in die volgende afdelings nodig: RespekSeksVriendskapHuishoudelike hulp
- 5 Huweliks MitesOns almal trou met die idee dat ons huwelik prentjie mooi gaan wees, kom ons wees eerlik jy hou nie altyd van die prentjie wat jy gekies het nie.
- 5 Kommunikasie Geheime5 Geheime vir Effektiewe Kommunikasie. Ons hoop om deur hierdie vlog jou te help om meer effektief met jou lewensmaat te kommunikeer. Ons is druk besig om die podcast op die been te kry.
- Woede en KonflikGetroud wees loop amper parallel met baklei. Dis tog verstaanbaar, twee word een, twee stelle ideas, gewoontes, en maniere moet ewe skielik hulle weg saam vind. Dit help nie dat mans en vrouens dag en nag verskil nie. Hoe nou gemaak?
- Celebration Date Idea!Can you remember the first few months of your relationship? Those butterflies every time your phone beeped. The fact that you couldn’t wait to see your partner, sparks flying so high, you could probably light up New York City. We often ask ourselves how to get the spark back, or how […]